søndag 20. mars 2011

GHOST HEART – Cecilia Samartin

I have chosen to read the book Ghost Heart by Cecilia Samartin. The book had got wonderfull critics, and I had been recommended it several times. I have also read Samartians Senor Peregrino witch I enjoyed a lot, so I must say I was excited to get started on Ghost Heart. I have read almost half the book now, and am liking it a lot so far.

The time is set back to 1955 in Cuba. We are introduced to Nora, her cousin Alicia and the rest of their family. The first chapters of the book describe the two cousins growing up in beautiful Cuba. Samartian describes the place in a magical way. While reading you can picture everything in your mind, all the smells, the warmth, You can picture the turquoise water sparkling in the bright sun, and the warm sand under your feet. Suddenly this harmonic and wonderfull place is turned around, and so are the lives of Nora and Alicias families. Castro comes to power and a revolution is on its way. The entire life on Cuba changes more or less over night. Banks are closed, food is shortened and religion outlawed. Life as they knew it is washed away. Nora and her family emigrate to California, while Alicia and hers stay in Cuba. But even though Nora is thousands of miles away, she left her heart in Cuba.


This is as far as I’ve come now, and I must say it’s really getting to me.

1 kommentar:

  1. Sounds like a great book and I am looking forward to reading more about it as you progress. It is an interesting time in the history of Cuba.

    SvarSlett