onsdag 24. november 2010

From book to film

Last English class we watched the movie The Kite Runner. We had just read the book and I was excited to see if the pictures I had created in my head would match the actual film. I enjoyed it a lot, but was disappointed to find that many details and events from the book were shortened and some removed. But of course I realize that when you make a book into a film, this is unavoidable.
Earlier we had written a double entry journal in order to reflect over many aspects in the book. I have chosen to compare one of the events in the book which reflected a major theme in The Kite Runner, namely, self-realization.
“Then I did what I hadn’t done in fifteen years of marriage; I told my wife everything. I had pictured this moment so many times, dreaded it, but, as I spoke, I felt something lifting off my chest. I imagined Soroya, had experienced something very similar the night of our khastegari, when she’d told me about her past.”
Throughout the entire book Amir had been keeping a big secret. It had been burning inside him and on his mind ever since the day it occurred. This was the first time Amir told anyone about it, and it is to his wife Soroya. When he finally confides in her, he realizes he should have been honest all those years ago.
Even though Soroya, earlier, disclosed a part of her life she wasn’t proud of, he avoided telling her about his dark secret. At this point it was absolutely necessary since he had to explain why he was returning to America with a small Afghan boy. This is a turning point in the book, together with Amir’s self realization being open and honest, a quality he has had difficulties with his entire life.
This part is completely cut out of the movie. We never find out if Amir tells Soroya about his past at all. I find this a shame as it was a critical moment in the book and by cutting it out, felt  the story l lost some of its essence. In the movie Amir never tells anyone about his big secret and therefore never gets closure with the incident or himself. And to be honest I find Amir to be troubled with more guilt and shame in the book than in the film.  

1 kommentar:

  1. I agree with you there. Nice refelctions on the book vs the film. Always difficult when making a movie, what to include what to leave out. Still I think this is one of the best movies from a book I have seen. But you are absolutely right, the struggle Amir has with himself leaves the movie missing an important part.

    SvarSlett