tirsdag 7. desember 2010

Japanese culture




Last English class, we worked with texts about Japanese English, manga and anime including English in South-East Asia. We were given the freedom to work however we wanted, witch in my opinion is an alternative more teachers should give their students. We are able to use the method that works best for each individual student, and that way we are able to increase our learning. I chose to read the texts and take notes along the way.

The tree texts we worked with were about the importance and the usage of the English language in South-East Asia. In other words, in countries like Japan, China and India, but mostly we learned about English in Japan.

Two extremely popular phenomenon’s called Manga and Anime, was something I’d heard of, but wasn’t to familiar with. Manga is the Japanese word for comics, and Anime is the Japanese word for animation. What I find most interesting about this particular subject, was how Manga and anime can interest as wide of an age specter as is does. It obviously appeals to children like the cartoons we have here, but as the text says Today it is common to see grown men reading comics in business suits on public places.

I’ve always thought Japanese was a fascinating language, and an interesting fact i found, was that the Japanese language doesn’t have the sounds of “v” and “f”. It also said that the Japanese sometimes understand English grammar better than the native speakers themselves, and the reason behind this remarkable fact is that the Japanese study English at a high and strict level.

I definitely want to learn more about Japanese culture, I find that it is so different than any culture I have seen, and therefore it intrigues me.

1 kommentar:

  1. Glad you liked it. Both the way we worked and the themes. I agree the Japanes culture is interesting to learn and know more about.

    SvarSlett